Marinated Roasted Red & Yellow Bell Pepper Melt
When it comes to comfort food, it’s hard to compete with pizza. But this melty, Mediterranean-inspired sandwich on Live Organic Ancient Grains comes close! The toppings take a bit of prep, but the roasted veggies, tapenade and basil mayo can be prepared in advanced and stored in the fridge. You can also use store-bought tapenade and jarred roasted peppers for a no-fuss variation.
- Aunt Millie’s Ancient Grains Bread
- ½ large roasted red pepper*
- ½ large roasted yellow pepper*
- ¼ cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach
- ¼ cup marinated artichokes roughly chopped
- 2 slices of fire roasted tomato**
- 2 large basil leaves julienned
- Olive tapenade***
- Basil mayonnaise****
- Spread basil mayonnaise on both slices of bread.
- Layer spinach leaves to cover mayonnaise on one piece of bread.
- Spread olive tapenade over spinach.
- Add artichoke hearts.
- Top with fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add roasted red and yellow peppers.
- Sprinkle basil leaves.
- Cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Top with remaining slice of bread.
*Marinated Roasted Red and Yellow Peppers
- 2 roasted red peppers
- 2 roasted yellow peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix everything and let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
**Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 6-8 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Big pinch of salt and pepper
- Pinch of sugar on each tomato slice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly add salt, pepper and sugar to each tomato slice.
- Place sliced tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic, parsley, and oregano.
- Toss until tomatoes are evenly coated.
- Arrange tomatoes on baking sheet in one layer.
- Roast until softened and edges begin to brown 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before using.
- ¼ cup pimento-stuffed Spanish olives
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well-chopped, but not pureed.
****Basil Garlic Mayonnaise
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 7 fresh basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth.