Planning a Mardi Gras party? Wondering what to serve alongside your gumbo or beans and rice? Look no further than this easy, tasty take on a Big Easy favorite. The Creole mustard and giardiniera-olive relish is what makes or breaks these babies, so don’t even think about skipping them. But if you’re short on time or want to assemble these as individual servings, feel free to make them in advance and store them in the fridge.
- Aunt Millie's Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- 2 (16 ounce) jars giardiniera mixed vegetables (hot or mild)
- ½ cup pimento-stuffed Spanish olives, ¼ cup Kalamata olives, ¼ cup black olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar dressing
- 6 slices Swiss cheese, cut in half diagonally
- 12 slices deli ham, thinly sliced
- 12 slices Genoa salami (or cotta)
- 6 slices provolone cheese, cut in half diagonally
- Creole Mustard*
- Pulse giardiniera vegetables in food processor about 8-10 times until coarsely chopped, not pureed. Add olives, oil, and vinegar dressing. Stir and set aside.
- Layer 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 1 slice of ham, 1 slice of salami and 1 slice of provolone over bottom of sliced roll.
- Put 1-2 tablespoons of olive/vegetable mixture on top of meat and cheese.
- Apply Creole mustard to top roll slice if desired.
- Sandwiches can be served warm or cold.
- For warm sandwiches, place completed mini muffulettas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with tinfoil. Place in oven for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F, until cheese is slightly melted.
- ½ cup spicy brown Mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Hot Pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Wisk all ingredients together and let stand for at least 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- 2 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Mix all ingredients together.